By Simarjot Kaur
In this world driven by extravagant and pompous displays of love on social media, I am here to remind you about a simple fact: Loving someone is not about taking them to fancy restaurants or buying each other expensive gifts. A love that is pure can find happiness in activities as simple as spending time together. I don’t believe you have to spend a fortune on exaggerated dinners to have a worthwhile date night. In fact, in my opinion, some of the most meaningful dates are the ones that don’t even cost a dime!
- If you and your partner admire art, you would love to go to the Art gallery of Alberta. They provide free access to the public on Thursdays from 5 PM to 8 PM.
- Experience the longest running winter festival in Edmonton, the Silver Skate Festival at the Hawrelak Park. It runs from February 8-18 and entrance is free. Events include live music.
- Turns out that on Thursdays, a lot of places have free access. Go to the U of A Observatory on Thursdays, between 7 PM to 8 PM, for a romantic stargazing night.
- It might sound crazy, but having an entire meal of Costco samples is always a nice lunch date, with no meal prep required.
- Share your dreams and take a test drive in your dream car. They say once you start taking baby steps towards your dreams, they are fulfilled in no time.
- Go for a photoshoot at the Neon Sign Museum. It always ends up in a couple of insta worthy pics.
- Spend some time ice skating together at one of Edmonton’s skating trails: Victoria Park Iceway, Rundle Park skating trail, Kenillworth Community League Ice Trail. If you and your partner are not in a mood to go out and experience the amazing winter chills; Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered as well.
- Have an at-home movie night. Make some popcorn, enjoy your company and appreciate the warmth of a cozy blanket.
- Build a blanket fort and have a pillow battle.
- Help each other relax after a long day at work/school by giving and receiving great massages. I hope you don’t feel the need to have extravagant date nights to make memories, show your affection and care for your loved ones. Always remember, life is simple, it is we who insist on making it complicated.